Interpreter & Language Assessments
It is vital to know your interpreters and bilingual staff have what it takes to communicate effectively with your limited English proficient (LEP) patients.
CLI has developed a suite of PLUS (Proficiency & Language Usage Skills) Assessments to help you evaluate and document the qualifications of your language team. Our assessments were developed in collaboration with Dr. Jean Turner of the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, subject matter experts, and consultants.
Each assessment has undergone an in-depth analysis, piloting, calibration, and refinement period to guarantee validity and reliability. Our development team completed this process to ensure the assessments consistently measure what they’re intended to — empowering you to make informed decisions about the abilities of your language team.
CLI’s PLUS Assessments:
Assess your staff interpreters’ language fluency and medical interpreting skills
Evaluate bilingual employees for language proficiency in a healthcare environment
Ensure you are meeting industry standards for patient care
CLI’s Interpreter MedPLUS Assessment helps determine your staff interpreters’ language fluency and interpreting skills in a medical environment. The assessment evaluates each interpreter’s knowledge in three key areas:
- Medical terminology
- Interpreting skills in a medical environment
- Professional interpreting standards
The Interpreter MedPLUS was informed by the standards of:
- International Medical Interpreter Association (IMIA)
- National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI)’s “Certified Medical Interpreter Candidate Handbook”
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI)’s “Candidate Examination Handbook”
- Oregon Health Authority’s Health Care Interpreter (HCI) program requirements
Interpreter MedPLUS is available in the following languages: Arabic, Cantonese, French Canadian, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Mandarin, Nepali, Russian, Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
CLI’s Bilingual MedPLUS Assessment targets bilingual staff in a healthcare environment who directly communicate with patients in a language other than English — from doctors and nurses, to receptionists and call center agents. This assessment measures a candidate’s ability to:
- Proficiently understand general healthcare discussions and terminology
- Fluently speak with the patient in a clear, cohesive manner without needing an interpreter
- Accurately interpret specialized medical terminology
Evaluation of the Bilingual MedPLUS Assessment is based on the six levels of proficiency in the Common European Framework for Languages (CEFR).
The Bilingual MedPLUS assessment is currently available in Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
Stay confident — and compliant — with CLI’s PLUS Assessments.